Tuesday 19 July 2011

Beyond the Mist !

We decided to spend a couple of hours by the pool to relax before our mamoth sight seeing tours kicked in. Little did I know the temperatures would soar to nearly 40 degree's .... now the simple equation ginger + sun nearing 40 degree's does not equal harmony, but attempting to give his pasty legs a shot at a tan decided to " grin and bare it ".  I have to say, an Italian pool is nothing like you get in say Spain. or Vegas, if you can remember the Dolce Gabbana after shave advert - then thats the person frequenting my pool ( A little visualisation for the ladies reading the blog !! )



..... I am struggling to write this blog for breathing in so much !!!

After our few hours by the pool we then jumped into tourist mode armed with our camera's and headed into Rome to go on our Colesseum tour at 3pm. There is always an easy way and hard way to do everything .... and this time we choose the hard way ... we walked all the way from the Vatican to the Colesseum in 40 degree temperatures, having lunch along the way.  It took us nearly 3 hours !!! ....
...We arrived at the Colesseum, rather hot to say the least, there was a HUGE queue confronting us - thankfully we had followed our very useful guidebook and pre booked on the internet. Now I know its not nice, but I just couldnt help it ..... I  did the "smug walk" passed the massive queue of tourists !!!! I did stop at waving my internet tickets though , but nethertheless there was a spring in my step and a ever so slight grin as we passed several 1000 people !!

We did the Colesseum tour with an English guide, who to be honest was a bit of a bull terrior,  she decided to have a stand up row with another guide who got in her way, while on microphone, - my ears are still ringing.

It was an impressive building, and have learnt that the Gladiator film is utter rubbish ( well I did learn a little more than that ! ).  After the Colesseum I decided it would be a good idea to continue to the Roman Forum and the Palatino, although looking back "Adyano" may have been in the sun a little too long by now !  I should have seen the signs after " Adyano " twisted his foot ( right and left !! ) on the pot holes in the pavements, and is now complaining of a bad knee.

We hobbled to a bar to rehydrate on water (  and a rather large ice cold beer ) ... which seemed to to do just the job on the knee ( thankfully no chemist visits in Rome so far ! ).

After visiting several other sights along the way , including a church, which we got kicked out of the night before, as I showed a little too much shoulder ! we went for dinner. Now for any one who knows "Adyano" well he has one simple rule .... do not interfere with the food !!!

We selected a restaurant .... not for its great value .....nor for its wide selection of menu .... nor for the friendly waiters ...... but the fact that it had misters !! .... we should have known we were doomed at that point !! .... after waiting ages for the menu...then the order to be taken...then the wrong food coming....then the right food arriving but not the side orders !!! " Adyano " was a little frustrated  !!! To top it off he said his food was the worst food he had ever had, and after all that wait !!

Due to length of wait for the food, we needed to hurry for the bus back to the hotel.  " Adyano" has been a great path finder up until now, so I can only put it down to, too much sun, or bad and late food !! however, he had one big strop heading back to the bus stop.  It went something like this ......

" How am I suppose to find anywhere in this place, the map is rubbish, there are no signs on roads, I have no idea where we are or where we are going " the hands waving everywhere as he's having his big strop and the foot being stomped.  Unfortunately where Adyano had chosen to have a big strop there was a big road sign saying " Via Argentina " over the top of his head.  I did think twice about pointing this out to him, as didnt know if he had any humour left ! ..... but I found it so funny  I couldnt resist !!! .... thankfully he did see the funny side of it !!

We are all toured out today, and are getting picked up at our hotel at 6.30 AM in the morning for the Vatican tour.  I wish I had packed a foot spa. Ciao, Ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment